For my April recipes I wanted a light starter and a light filling main course. The melon starter is easy to do and the kids will love to help you make the boats. But they will probably eat as they make the boats.
So the boats may come out more as rafts! For the main course I have gone for Cashew Chicken which is an oriental dish. It is light on the belly but filling and easy to make. I can get Chicken in Portugal for about 4 euros for 3 breasts.
I hope you try these recipes and let me know what you think about them. If they worked for you or if they didn’t or if you found them too expensive.
4 Thin Slices Of Watermelon
3 Oranges, Peeled & Segmented
2 Kiwi Fruit, Peeled & Sliced
4 Mint Sprigs
1. Remove the pips from the watermelon slices, cut off the skin & lay each slice on its side on four different plates. Arrange the orange segments overlapping each other to represent a sail.
2. Half the kiwi fruit slices and arrange under the melon to represent the sea. Place a “flag” of mint on top of each “sail”.
Cashew Chicken Recipe:
3 Chicken Breasts, Boned/Skinned
1/2 lb Chinese Pea Pods
1/2 lb Mushrooms
4 Green Onions
2 Cups Bamboo Shoots, Drained
1 Cup Chicken Broth
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Corn Starch
1/2 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
4 tbsp Salad Oil
1 Pack Cashew Nuts
1. Slice the chicken breasts horizontally into very thin slices and cut into inch squares. Place on a tray. Prepare vegetables, removing ends and strings from pea pods, slicing mushrooms, green part of onions, and the bamboo shoots. Add to tray.
2. Mix the soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in skillet over moderate heat, add all the nuts, and cook 1 min shaking the pan, toasting the nuts lightly. Remove and reserve. Pour remaining oil in pan, fry chicken quickly, turning often until it looks opaque.
3. Lower heat to low. Add pea pods, mushrooms, and broth. Cover and cook slowly for 2 minutes. Remove cover, add soy sauce mixture, bamboo shoots, and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Simmer uncovered a bit more and add green onions and nuts and serve immediately.
Thanks for reading my blog post and in the meantime if you would like to read more of my fantastic healthy eating tips and food recipes you can subscribe to my RSS feed or join my free online Ezine.
To your food heaven