I love the idea of being able to save money and provide wonderful meals for the family. So I am starting the $7 family meals with a traditional family favourite.
A starter of Garlic Bread, followed by a main of Meatballs.
Whether you are two years old or fifty we all love meatballs with a lovely tomato sauce. Though like with roast potatoes we all seem to argue over who gets the most. Many times though in my household it is Daddy that gets the extra one!!!
Your family would never, ever think that you were budgeting by serving up a wonderful meal like this. These are ideal meals to cook on a budget as they fill you up and both are easy to make. You can double the recipe and freeze some later and it won’t kill your budget too much.
Budget Homemade Garlic Bread
1-2 French Bread Sticks
2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
1/2 Block Butter
1/2 tsp Basil
1/2 tsp Parsley
1/2 Cup Cheese (Parmesan Or Cheddar)
1. Cut the French bread sticks in a diagonal way, then add the rest of the ingredients into a bowl and mix them together well.
2. Then I like to spoon the mixture on to the bread then put under the grill until the garlic butter has melted and they are cooked to your liking. I like mine to be really soggy but some people like them to be crispy.
500g Of Mince/ground Beef
1 Onion Grated
1/3 Cup Breadcrumbs
1 440g Tomato/pasta sauce
1 Cup Of Water
1 tbsp Sugar
Salt And Pepper
1 handful of spaghetti/pasta
1. Combine all meatball ingredients, shape into meatballs then place the balls in the casserole dish. These can be made earlier and put in the fridge until needed.
2. Combine the tomato/pasta sauce, water, sugar salt and pepper this is for the sauce. Cover the meatballs put in the oven for 1 hour @180c.
3. Cook the pasta as stated on the packet be careful not to over cook.
These recipes are done on the amount of 5euros which when converted to dollars the amount is around $7. I have made every effort to ensure i stay within my budget but as you will know prices vary at the moment alot from place to place.
To your food heaven