While many experts agree that you exercise should be an important part of your life (if you want to be healthy—and who doesn’t?), good health begins and ends with the proper diet. After all, you need energy to be able to work out and you need antioxidants to repair the damage done to your cells when you work out (this is a good thing).
Where do you get these things? Well, you can always take a natural vitamin and mineral supplement, but for the best results you should simply try and eat better. Here are a few things you need to remember when trying to maintain a proper diet:’
1) Whatever you “eat,” that is your “diet.” The word “diet” is thrown around a lot these days, but most people do not use it properly. “Diet” refers to the regular eating habits of an animal. Your “diet” is whatever you eat regularly. When you “go on a diet” what you are really doing is “modifying your diet” to focus on healthier foods.
2) Eat a variety of NUTRIENT-RICH foods. The key here is in the term “nutrient-rich” foods, which is another way to say “natural” or “organic.” Processed foods are stripped of most nutrients and if the box says that the product has “vitamins and minerals” they are usually synthetic and added during the process.
3) Eat a balance of fruits, vegetables, grains, and proteins. The new understanding of the American diet shows that you should eat more vegetables than fruits and more grains than protein. However, they are all relatively equal, which is quite different from the food pyramid of the past.
4) Balance your food over time. Nobody is perfect, and there is nothing in the “rules” that says you have to stay away from your favorite foods, even if you know they are not good for you. It’s not forbidden for you to eat foods that are high in salt, fat, or sugar, but just know that there should be a limit to how much you can have on any given day.
5) Change is good, but gradual change is better. Like anything else, it is very difficult to simply change your habits and behavior in the blink of an eye. Have a plan for what you need to do and set a few goals. Change simple things at first and over time the big changes will become easier.
To your food heaven