In the current economy, it certainly makes sense not to waste any food that you purchase from the local grocery store. No one wants to look in their refrigerator two weeks later and realize that they have wasted a lot of money on food that was never even eaten and has gone bad.
Therefore, you might want to follow my top 10 food storage tips to avoid wasting perfectly good food and a lot of money!
1. Use green bags: There are a lot of those food storage bags that are now on the market. You can use them in a variety of situations, but mainly they are used to preserve fruits and vegetables.
2. Use a vacuum sealer: This is a great way to save leftover meals or to store your cut-up vegetables. One tip: when you bring home new veggies and you are going to use them in salads or stews that week, go ahead and cut them up so they are ready to go when you need them!
3. Place an apple inside the bag of potatoes to slow them from budding.
4. Use blemished potatoes first because if one of them goes bad, the whole bag will go bad a lot quicker.
5. To save space, pour all of your cereal boxes into those tall plastic cereal storage containers. This will help you see which cereal is which and get your pantry more organized.
6. Store your breads in a bread box to keep it fresh longer.
7. If you are not planning to eat a loaf of bread for a few weeks, freeze it until you are ready to use it.
8. Store eggs in the carton instead of in the door of the refrigerator. It will help them stay fresher longer.
9. Use storage containers for your bulk items like flour, sugar, oatmeal and other grains. Many of these things become susceptible to moisture and bugs because they were stored in bags and boxes that were not well sealed.
10. If you like fresh herbs, but they go back too quickly you can mince them and store them in an ice cube tray. Freeze them and they can be thawed and used for up to 2 months.
Follow these simple food storage tips to make sure that you get the most bang for your buck when it comes to buying groceries!
To your food heaven