If there is one meat that is cheap yet incredibly tasty the award has to go to minced beef and I am a huge fan. I must buy at least one pack a week. Whether it is to make spaghetti and meatballs or lasagne you can do pretty much anything with it. Imagine if you sent two people into seperate kitchens with a pack of mince you can imagine that totally different items would end up being cooked.
I will often go into the kitchen and make meatballs where as Dominic is more likely to opt for cottage pie which is an old English favourite of his.
So to get you in mood for cooking mince here are three favourites of mine:
1 Large Onion, Chopped
2 Medium Carrots, Chopped
2-3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 (14 1/2 oz) Can Beef Broth
1 1/2 lbs Minced Beef
1 (8 oz) Can Tomato Sauce
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
1/2 tsp Parsley Flakes
1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary
1/2 tsp Rubbed Sage
2 Cups Hot Mashed Potatoes
2. Drain, reserving liquid to make gravy, if desired. In a skillet, cook the beef until browned; drain. Add tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add reserved vegetables and mix well. Transfer to a greased 2-quart baking dish.
4. Top with mashed potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
5. If desired, make gravy with reserved vegetable liquid; serve with the pie.
Recipe 2 – Meatballs
500g Of Mince Beef
1 Onion Grated
1/3 Cup Uncooked Rice
1/3 Cup Breadcrumbs
1 440g Tomato Soup
1 Cup Of Water
1 tbsp Sugar
Salt And Pepper
2. Combine the tomato soup, water, sugar salt and pepper this is for the sauce to cover the meatballs put in the oven for 1 hour @180c.
3. Cook the rice as stated on the packet.
Recipe 3 – Chill With Roasted Peppers
2 fat red chillies
2 medium red peppers
Jar of tomato sauce
1 Pack of minced beef
1 pinch of cumin
1 pinch of paprika
2 cans of kidney beans
1. Preheat the grill to high and halve 2 fat red chillies and 2 red peppers, scraping out the seeds as you go. Place them on a baking tray skin side up and grill until they look blackened and blistered. As they cook, start a pan and cook your minced beef and mix it with some tomato sauce.
2. Peel off the skin of the peppers and cut it into long strips and roughly chop the chillies. In a frying pan add the cumin and mince along with the pepper and chilli. Also add two tins of kidney beans and the paprika. Once cooked through it is ready to serve.
3. I suggest that you serve it with sour cream and tortillas for the ultimate meal.
Thanks for reading my blog post and in the meantime if you would like to read more of my fantastic healthy eating cooking tips and food recipes you can subscribe to my RSS feed or join my free online Ezine.
To your food heaven
The ultimate recipe book collection provides you with a vast amount of recipes that you can try at home to impress family and friends with. Whether you want to try a new diet recipe, make pizza with the kids or improve your baking skills we have the recipe for you!!!They have been put together with you in mind and can really make a difference to your cookery needs.
You can click here for further details