For my February $7 meals I am going for a vegetable selection and a Cottage Pie. I have chosen the vegetable selection because even though the recipe says you have to boil the potatoes now you can use another way of preparing them.
We have just bought a Philips Air fryer where you can have any food you like but not feel guilty. If you buy one I would use one of these to cook your vegetables because they taste wonderful in the air fryer.
For the main course with it being winter in most parts of the world a good cottage pie is great at this time of the year and I love it. Both these recipes should come in about the $7 mark. Vegetables and ground meat are pretty cheap where ever you live in the world.
Healthy Vegetable Recipes:
1 Small Cauliflower, Cut Into Florets
200g Thin Green Beans, Halved
2 Courgettes Cut Into 2.5cm Pieces
250g Baby Carrots
200g Baby Corn
2 tbsp Mayonnaise
1 tsp Poppy Seeds
2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
Ground Black Pepper
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the vegetables and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until just tender. Drain the vegetables and place in a medium sized bowl.
2. To make the dressing, mix together the mayonnaise, poppy seeds and vinegar. Season with pepper and mix with the warm vegetables, then leave to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Cottage Pie Recipe:
1 Large Onion, Chopped
2 Medium Carrots, Chopped
2-3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 lb (14.5oz) Can Beef Broth
1 1/2 lbs Ground Beef
1 (8oz) Can Tomato Sauce
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
1/2 tsp Parsley Flakes
1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary
1/2 tsp Rubbed Sage
2 Cups Hot Mashed Potatoes
1. In a saucepan, combine onion, carrots, garlic and broth.
Bring to the boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Drain, reserving liquid to make gravy, if desired.
In a skillet, cook beef until browned; drain.
3. Add tomato sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add reserved vegetables and mix well.
Transfer to a greased 2-quart baking dish.
5. Top with mashed potatoes.
Bake, uncovered, and at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
6. If desired, make gravy with reserved vegetable liquid; serve with pie.